Sunday, May 14, 2006

Lava Rama report

Lyna and I headed up on Friday for a pre-ride. We met up with Lucy, Drew, Meghan nd Travis, and took off. Meghan and Travis only had to do the little loop, so they broke off after about 3 miles (2 on pavement) The rest of us kept going, the trail, once we got off double track was in horrible shape, cattler everywhere had beat it up, the pre-ride took 2 hours, Lucy crashed, Lyna was not so happy and I had to go ride some efforts, so I went and did a small lap. Friday evening we hit the mineral bath in ojur room and dinner, wokeup Saturday for breakfast and packing up. Watched the beginers start and warmed up.

We started at 12:30 in 3 waves, Pro-Expert-Sport.

A large number of experts thought it would be a good idea to ride in the oncoming traffic lane and almost got taken out by a truck, then almost took the rest of us out. Nice. I felt good on the first lap, climbed well, descended decently and was in a good spot, probably around 7th or 8th. At the end of the first lap I had to stop to check for a flat, didn't have one, but then lost contact with the few people I was planning on being with on the pavement, Newby caught on though. The second 2 mile 1200 foot climb hammered me, i had nothing, till we got to the top, I then motored the rest of the lap, descent, 1 mile climb, descent, rollers, I don't know where I finished, the promoter was slightly disorganized, but I think I was around 10th. The winners of my category (top 4 maybe) passed all but the top 4 or 5 pro's, so yeah I'm happy with the result.

Lyna ended up 3rd for sport women over 35, which is her first sport podium, sweet.

Today at some point I'll go spin easy for an hour, and sit around and do nothing the rest of the time.

No comments: