Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fort B. Boring Race Report

photo by Kim Abbott

We had a large group at the start. I got a good start went into the grass in the top ten, got on Rich's wheel and it was on. Rich and I worked with Jay and Denny  for a while, then Iltis made up to us, but he powered on through.  About 4 laps in, I went into the hard left into the infield barrier section a bit too hot, I locked up the rear brakes, power slid and popped the tire off the rim.  rode i to the barriers, ran to get the B bike and started chasing. MK got by me here. Racer and Jay (who also flatted) caught up to me a few laps later and we were pulling Rich, Denny and MK back, after a few laps, I hopped the log and proceeded to lose my chain, this ended up happening 4 or 5 more times, needless to say, I think I finished last. 

Happy with the ability to stay in the second group after a good start, on a dead flat, fast course. Nice to see DC at the front.

Cavey and I were joined by Rico on our post race date.

As  Rico' says, 'none of us are getting paid to do this.'   Be nice to each other.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

boring? maybe you should have worn the dress.

JZ said...

After the Fort B race I think I may give up on ghetto tubeless and go back to tubes (with sealant inside), at least with the current tire/rim combo I am running. I burped my front and had to give it a quick shot of air and then mid-way through the race popped a bead on my rear tire and lost all air. I used my CO2 and it actually re-sealed so I finished the race, but I lost my faith in it.

So after rolling your bead off, are you sticking with the ghetto set-up?

StupidBike said...

absolutely, the way I power slid that corner was by no means clean or desired, just inattention and speed. I am sure a professionally glued tubular would of blown off and a tubed tire would of as well. I have had nothing but good luck other wise, stupidbike handling not withstanding.

JZ said...

Maybe I just need to find a better tire/rim combo. The Maxxis Raze tires were way too easy to get on even with a layer of rubber between the bead and the rim.