Sunday, April 22, 2007

And I predicted it...

So headed up to race masters at the Tax Day Circuit race saturday am. I left the house a 7:30, hoping to make it in time to do an hour warm up. Construction, plus gas stop got me there right before 10 am for an 11 am start. Getting registered, getting dressed and hanging out worrying about the impending rain left me with a spectacular 15 minute warm up.

There were around 17 masters 35+, Scott Allen told me they were all fast. I told him, great, it'll be a good workout. So we start and after the 1.5 mile neutral a few half hearted attacks go no where. A bit before the turn off to the circuit, I, like an inpatient mtb'er, go to the front, went to the left, no one comes around, went to the right, no one comes around. Finally, a bit into the circuit, everyone blows by me, there goes my race, I dangle 3 seconds off the back all the way up the climb and lose them a bit more on the descent and really lose them on the flats, was only 30 seconds behind for 2/3rds of the race, but on the last lap they ramped it up. I picked off 3 or 4 guys by the finish and ended up 11th. Scot won and told me there were 8 to 10 guys in the front group. I should stayed away from the front at the start and may had a bit higher finish.

It was a great work out none the less, Ty took 3rd in the 4's. Thin and Thinner were looking strong in the pack of 3's with one lone guy a minute up on them. I was sure the 6 in the break away would stay away, but alas, they did not.

Was going to hit the hot pots at Lava Hot Springs with Ty and Meg post race, but decided to drive home, wouldn't of made it home otherwise.

Lessons learned every 2 years when I do a road race, don't go to the front Bob, sit back and relax. Follow those you know are in for the win.

2 comments:

UtRider said...

Man, at least you were out there mixing it up. I get nervous just thinking about racing so really admire those who line up regardless of whether the race plays to their strenths. Nice job and you'll be killing it on the dirt again soon enough.

Utah Mnt biker said...

I guess those nancy boys showed you!

Thanks for inviting me to 5-mile Sunday!

At least you finished a masters race.